Microsoft noticeably improved its taskbar with Windows 7! Instead of displaying every window and program in the taskbar, the operating system groups similar windows under one icon. The free app, 7Stacks takes this concept and kicks it up a notch by letting you combine many program and Explorer shortcuts into a single icon. Your desktop will never have been tidier with 7Stacks! This week’s blog post shows you how to set up 7Stacks!
- Go to the app’s website and download the latest 7Stacks archive. Extract the files and install it using the “7stackssetup” installer.
- After launching 7Stacks, you will see a configuration dialog box. Start by creating a new stack. For example, we made one that includes all of the Office program shortcuts currently installed on our machine. To do that, we created a folder (anywhere on the drive) and copied the Office shortcuts into it.
- In the 7Stacks configuration dialog box, enter the folder with the shortcuts.
- Don’t forget to name the stack, and choose an icon, the icon size, and the font size. Hit “Create Shortcut on Desktop”—and that’s all 7Stacks requires! You’ll find a new icon on your desktop.
- All you have to do now is drag this new folder on to your taskbar.
- From now on, a simple click on this new icon will bring up all of the shortcuts you created or selected in step 2!
By creating stacks like this, you can easily de-clutter your desktop and Start menu. This will save you a lot of time when looking for shortcuts.