It’s ready for prime time: Today, after months and months of research on our part, I’m very happy to announce the release of our brand-new TuneUp Utilities 2012 on friday! This year’s version upgrades your PC not just with an enhanced feature for peak performance, but also with a brand-new power management system that delivers longer battery life and less power consumption. Here’s a sneak peak at some of the new and enhanced features we’ve packed into TuneUp Utilities™ 2012.
Solved: Short battery life and high power consumption
Your laptop’s battery keeps dying in the worst-possible situation: right before you’re done wrapping up a presentation, before the end credits of your DVD movie roll, or when you’re nearly done playing that game on the road. If any of these scenarios sound familiar, you’ll love our brand-new TuneUp Economy Mode. It guarantees longer battery life for laptops and lower power consumption for desktops.
How it works
PCs tend to draw more energy than they should, due to inadequate power management settings in Windows and spikes in program activity. We solved this issue with TuneUp Utilities 2012‘s new Economy Mode. It prevents PC hardware components from delivering too much power when it’s not really needed and thus from wasting power:
- Reduced processor power consumption: TuneUp Economy Mode reduces performance and optimizes the power consumption of processors for maximum battery life while providing enough power for everyday use.
- Great power savings for your devices: TuneUp Economy Mode reduces power consumption for many built-in and connected devices. It sets display brightness to more efficient levels, improves power settings for hard disk idle mode, wallpaper rotation, wireless adapters and screen standby.
- Turn off energy-sapping programs: TuneUp Economy Mode switches off background processes that are not needed and simply makes your PC’s energy output skyrocket.
Want proof? We used the benchmark suite PCMark 7 to simulate a heavy workload on a laptop. By throttling CPU, reducing display brightness, and reducing background activity, the laptop’s battery lasted 30% longer (37 minutes) with TuneUp Economy Mode as compared to Windows’ power-saving mode, all by pressing a single button! We’ll be writing a follow-up post that takes a deeper dive into the TuneUp Economy Mode benchmarking process, so stay tuned if you’d like to learn more.
High PC usage caused by third-party programs
This is another issue we’ve seen and heard about from you time and time again: New PCs work well, but their performance quickly degrades with everyday use and the installation of programs. This Secunia study shows that users have at least 66 programs installed on their machines, yet only a fraction of these products are needed on a regular basis—but, still, keep on bogging down the PC!
Our revamped TuneUp Program Deactivator solves this issue, once and for all.
How it works
In essence, the enhanced TuneUp Program Deactivator allows you to turn off programs that slow PCs down by putting them into a state of hibernation! This gives you full control over which programs can draw on your PCs resources and which ones can’t.
- As soon as you turn off a program, it stops drawing on memory, CPU power, and energy consumption. As soon as you launch a program, it’s ready for use in a fraction of seconds!
- NEW: The all-new Start-Stop Mode automatically turns off selected programs when you don’t need them!
- Program Deactivator prevents services, processes, and scheduled tasks from eating up your PC’s performance!
Again, need proof? In our recent internal study, we determined boot time improvements of more than 30%: One heavily-loaded desktop needed 63 seconds to cold boot to the Windows desktop – TuneUp Utilities managed to make it load the desktop in 46 seconds. On a faster (SSD-based) Core i5 system, boot times went down from 33 seconds to 23 seconds. That’s quite an achievement. But it’s not about boot time: On the same PC, 2.65 GB of memory was used by programs – TuneUp Utilities 2012 brought it down to roundabout 1.05 GB. Largely thanks to TuneUp Program Deactivator! In the future, we’re going to publish some of our tests so you can see (and check!) for yourself.
While this is just a quick overview, there’s so much more to gain with TuneUp Utilities 2012. For example, our Automatic and 1-Click Maintenance tools can help you improve your PC’s reliability and de-clutter it. Turbo Mode shuts down 70 background features, while the StartUp Manager increases performance for Windows services and processes. Plus, features like the Start Center, Repair Wizard, and TuneUp Undelete address common Windows problems and data loss.
We’re sure you’ll love TuneUp Utilities 2012! Try out the new version for free for 15 days, or pick up a copy of the product at retail stores like MicroCenter, Office Max, Frys, and Best Buy or also online at Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and TigerDirect.com. Users of previous software versions will be able to upgrade to the latest one for a discounted price.
As always, let us know what you think so we can perfectly tune the next version of TuneUp Utilities to your needs!
41 Responses to “Increase Battery Life and PC Performance with TuneUp Utilities 2012”
- Sandro’s Radio Interview Explains How TuneUp Utilities 2012 Can Give Your PC the Makeover it Needs » TuneUp Blog about Windows